Dear President Biden,
This is a brief update on our Strategic plan to substantially reduce cancer deaths, recently revised at http://www.natpernick.com/StrategicPlanCuringCancer.html. It supports your goal of “ending cancer as we know it.”
First, it is important to have an ambitious plan that spells out our actual goals and what needs to be done, to “dare greatly”, particularly because we don’t know how to achieve them.
Second, we propose that reducing the high number of US cancer deaths is a management problem that requires that we optimize each step of cancer’s clinical pathway (prevention, early detection, treatment and failure to respond to treatment). We should not be searching for a “silver bullet” or “magic pill” or talking about “a world without cancer”.
Third, we should study and reduce cancer deaths that occur shortly after diagnosis, which may be due to damage to essential physiologic networks that can be normalized initially, with specific anticancer treatment administered later.
Fourth, we speculate that for each cancer type, even the most aggressive, there exists a combination of perhaps 8-10 therapies that individually may be only partially effective but together can be substantially effective. Effective combinations not only target the cancer cells but their surrounding microenvironment; systemic networks involving inflammation, the immune system and possibly hormones; germline variations and known patient risk factors.
Finally, we outline important therapeutic strategies, including:
– Treatment should focus on managing the malignancy to reduce death and disability, not eliminating every cancer cell.
– Consider achieving “marginal gains” at all steps of the disease process, which may increase possible treatment options and reduce a sense of futility.
– Aggressively enroll patients into clinical trials so physicians can learn and improve over time.
Please let me know who specifically can think “out of the box” or might otherwise be interested in assisting with any part of this effort – we have limited contacts at the NIH, NCI and FDA. Please click on the blog or newsletter links below to stay in touch.
Nat Pernick, M.D., President and Founder
Website: www.PathologyOutlines.com (see header for social media links)
Directory webpage: https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/directory/nat-pernick
Curing Cancer Network:
* Strategic Plan – http://www.natpernick.com/StrategicPlanCuringCancer.html*
* American Code Against Cancer – http://www.natpernick.com/AmericanCodeAgainstCancer.html
* Newsletter – https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/su/onz6IND